Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Šibenik and More Waterfalls

My next stop was Krka National Park en route to Split. Krka is another popular park with waterfalls, but you can swim at Krka unlike Plitvice. To get to Krka, I had to stop in a town called Šibenik for a few hours to catch another bus.
The garden of St. Lawrence Monastery in Šibenik.
 I was pleasantly surprised by Šibenik. It had a charming old town and I was able to easily navigate without a map. There were signs everywhere directing you to the next sights. And it was pretty small. The waterfront was full of yachts heading to nearby islands. Yachting is a big deal in Croatia.

I'm not sick of waterfalls yet!
 Krka is cool because you can swim in a designated area. The current is quite strong in the river. I saw one man using the river as a lap pool (the tiny ones where you can swim in one spot against the current without moving). In some ways, I preferred Krka to Plitvice becasue the waterfalls had a lot more water going over them, but that might have to do with the lack of rain recently. Krka is a river and I think less sensitive to rainfall. There were a ton of people though and the boardwalk path that takes you through the main area of the park was packed with people!
The main waterfall at Krka park.
But don't you go thinking that's the last of the waterfalls! There's more to come in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

No comments: