My first evening in Pula I me up with a couple I know from home. They are on a whirlwind Euro trip and somehow we managed to find out we would be in the same place at the same time! We did some evening sightseeing and had dinner. I had a delicious cheese and TRUFFLE (!!) pizza for about $9 Canadian! And they didn't skimp on the truffles. I've never had truffles before, and I highly recommend them now! I should have taken a picture to prove how truffley it was.
| The amphitheatre at night. |
Pula has a very well preserved Roman amphitheatre and a number of other Roman ruins. They are beautifully lit at night. Apparently, the amphitheatre is the 6th largest currently in existence and the best preserved. There was one part that was such a stark white it looked like a poor replica of the original, but turns out, it was original and had just been meticulously cleaned. One interesting thing I learned at the amphitheatre is that the stairs were made to slow crowds by having very high steps.
Pula is also known for it's beaches. I went to the Verudela area with a few British girls from my hostel. The beaches are rocky, but stunning. I didn't take my camera so I only have a few photos from my phone that don't do it justice. I'm not used to swimming in such crystal clear water! But it was good because it made it easy to avoid the jellyfish and sea urchins.
My next stop is Zadar and a few parks nearby... Hopefully the weather forecast is wrong and the sun keeps shining! They're calling for rain but I want to be outside!

No comments:
Post a Comment