Monday, April 16, 2007

San Francisco

We went to Stanford on Thursday. Dennis, a phd student from Estonia, showed us around. Erika's friend, Leelo, came with us. It was pretty interesting. Stanford was built by the Stanfords when their only son died, so it's essentially one huge memorial. There is a Rodin sculpture garden and also a cactus garden. The architecture is just so different from anything in Canada. Actually, most of the buildings I've seen so far in California have been quite different. After Stanford we went to the Stanford shopping centre for lunch. It's an outdoor mall. So Eaton Centre without a roof. And much more high end. There's a Coach store, Louis Vuitton, and a number of other stores I've never seen except on Bloor or in Yorkville. Definitly not 45 minutes from a major city. But that's where it is.

On Friday we went into San Francisco for Erika's birthday. We went to the Twin Peaks, where we got a great view of the city. Erika had bought a half sized bottle of champagne and we drank it from the bottle because we didn't have glasses. Very classy. We couldn't/didn't want to finish the bottle, so we gave it to some tourists from the Netherlands and Germany. We went to a vegetarian restaurant at Fort Mason right on the water with a view of Golden Gate Bridge. The food was good, too. Then we went on the search for shoes and met up with Leelo again. We went to a restaurant for dinner where we met up with a few other people. The food was good there, too. I had a veggie burger that was nice and moist, which is what most veggie burgers lack. After that we went to the Palace of Fine Arts to see the Whirling Dervishes and hear Sufi music. They were celebrating Rumi's 800th birthday. The dervishes were really mesmerizing, almost hypnotic. They just kept slowly spinning. The music was obviously telling a story, but unfortunately, we couldn't understand.

On Saturday, we hung around and found me a pair of shoes. Yes, a pair of shoes I actually like. We went to a party later on. I was the youngest person by a decade or 2, but it was still fun. The people were really interesting and friendly.

On Sunday we went to Half Moon Bay and ate lunch in a restaurant on the beach. It was notorious during prohibition and apperently had all sorts of secret spinning cabinets to hide alcohol from Canada. We drove along the coast to San Francisco and it was breathtaking! One side fell away into the ocean. I wish I had pictures! In San Francisco, we went to the Wave Organ, but the tide was really low, so there was no noise. It's supposed to make different sounds as the waves enter some tubes. Then, we made our way to the Otsmaa's house in Orinda for dinner. Their house is up on a hill and the view was beautiful! Mikk played piano for us and Kai was showing us all sorts of tricks.

Today, my last day in California, started at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It was pretty neat, but I liked the one in Vancouver more because it has an outdoor section. Driving there, you go through what is essentially desert. So there's a big pile of sand, and at the bottom is an artichoke/strawberry farm! There isn't even proper soil there naturally! Let alone enough water... Wait, doesn't California always have problems with water shortages...? Anyways, the ocean was beautiful and we made our way up to Santa Cruz. It was so warm I would maybe have even gone swimming. Maybe. We drove back to Erika's through a gorgeous, hilly forest. Much nicer than the farms in the desert. And now I'm getting my last things together to head to New Zealand. So sorry if this is full of typos, I should be leaving right now! I'll add more photos later!

No comments: